Etlin International gives us an insight in to their recent maintenance project in Durban
Recent Etlin International maintenance project
ROOM A – CAPACITY – 4000 PALLETS
This freezer was commissioned July 1997 – 20 years ago with second hand racking.
The maintenance cost on this freezer between 2015 – 2016 was R1.3m including spares from Barpro. Some of the work carried out during this shutdown were replacement of drive wheels, guide wheels, gear rings, pinions, installation of new p/e trip beam covers and one guide wheel unit. Repairs and service of electric control boxes were also carried out.
In 2016 we had to replace portions of the insulated roof due to water ingress (moisture/condensation build up due to the increased humidity in the KZN region), together with the roof work it was decided to re-do all the insulation work on all the piping.
The time frame allocated for Room A was 14 days but this was achieved in 9 days. Room was brought down to ambient temperature in 3 days, maintenance commenced on the 23/01/2017 and was completed on the 01/02/2017.
ROOM C – CAPACITY – 7000 PALLETS
Room was commissioned December 2006 – 10 years ago.
The maintenance cost of the freezer during 2016 was approximately R400 000.00 including spares from Barpro. Some of the work carried out were replacing damaged push buttons, replaced side members, drive wheels, removed and replaced bearing and gear rings for 10 drive wheels, motor pinions, guide wheel unit, gearbox motor, replaced p/e trip beam covers, serviced all motors & gearboxes, replaced trip beams. Repairs and service of electric control boxes were also carried out.
Etlin International Storax mobile racking side member
The time frame allocated for Room C was 21 days but this was achieved in 15 days. Room was brought down to ambient temperature in 3 days & maintenance commenced on the 28/12/2016 and was completed on the 17/01/2017.
Planning was done in out of season with Etlin diverting containers to outside cold stores. We had limited amount of time due to the low volume during this period and had to ensure the work was executed accurately full on time. In our business we operate 24hrs a day 7 days a week hence there were no chances to be taken.
A thorough deep clean was conducted on both freezers where we had to bring in specialised cleaning equipment and materials to ensure that we would meet the target date for completion, our cleaning team worked 24 hrs. All mobile racks and rails were washed, scrubbed and cleaned by hand. The floor was deep cleaned continuously using a specialised cleaning machine to get the dirt and grime out and have the floor looking new again. All paneling was cleaned and washed with other equipment.
A company decision was taken to perform this maintenance program every 5 years.
Advantages of running such a huge maintenance program:
- Extending the life of the rooms by a minimum of 10 years.
- Productivity has increased due to a more efficient functionality.
- It has also ensured that Etlin is competitive in the market by guaranteeing its equipment is maintained regularly to prevent any downtime or unexpected breakdowns that could occur.
- Has assisted us in achieving high audit results in that site is maintained to above required standards. Accreditations under our belt are HACCP ; FSA ; Pick’n Pay ; YUM
- Has ensured safety of staff by maintaining equipment and racks this results in a safer work environment.
- Increased customer confidence is due to having their stock in a reliable cold store with formal preventative maintenance programs because we know time is money!
- The deep cleaning of the rooms has helped in getting rid of bacterial growth and also ensuring product is safe and meeting with legal requirements also our own Quality Management Program.
Thank You to Barpro S.A
To carry out such a huge maintenance shutdown we needed to ensure that every box was ticked and double checked. Barpro had also assisted in many ways due to manufacturers for equipment had shutdown during this period we had to work closely with them to ensure the required spares were ordered well in advance and delivered full on time for the shutdown period. Barpro were also on site to assist with the more complex work and to provide assistance where necessary, a huge thank you to the team effort at Barpro and for going the extra mile for Etlin.
Christopher Nulliah – Logistics Manager
Etlin International, Durban